For photos of the house, click here. It will give you a good idea what to expect.
The McGill Students Outdoors Club is the ONLY club on campus that has its own house! Located about 45 minutes north of Montreal in the town of Shawbridge, the house serves as our home base for many trips, and gives us the freedom to have great get-togethers in a cozy environment away from McGill and the city.
Some highlighted features of the house include:
- Four bunk-bedded rooms, capable of sleeping up to 80 people
- Ski and snowshoe rental on-site
- Dual-stove, dual-refrigerator kitchen, and benched dining area
- We can accomodate groups of up to 80 persons
The House is for the exclusive use of MOC members. An MOC member may invite a maximum of 2 non-members to stay with them, but they will be subject to non-member rates.
We'd love to have outdoorsy, optimistic, and courteous people at the house.
This isn't a vacation home, so no families with young children, please.
How to get there
The house is about a one-and-a-half hour bus ride from Montreal. The bus leaves from the Montreal central station (Metro Berri-UQAM) and stops at Prévost (Shawbridge) station two blocks from the house. The return student fare is $23.50 and regular fare is $31.25 (subject to change). To get more information visit Galland's website here.
You can also call the bus station at (514) 842-2281.
By BikeThe pleasant, scenic route!
- Follow the Christophe Colomb bike path to Riviere des Prairies (for a map of bike paths in Montreal,click here)
- Go West along the river
- Take Pont Viau into Laval
- Immediately loop to the right to stay on the bike path
- Follow the bike path as it twists and turns through back-roads and a park. Stick to the right when the path forks in the park
- Back on road-side bike paths: keep following signs for "la Route Verte" and you should soon find yourself on a crushed gravel path (don't worry, road bikes will do just fine)
- Eventually you will go east on a bike path on Perron Rd. Hang a left (north) on the Prince Rupert bike path and follow this one all the way to the North Shore
- After crossing la Riviere des Milles Iles, you will come to a fork in the path: stick to the left (north)
- Abandon the path as it veers to the east and just go north a couple blocks until you hit Hwy 344 (locals may know it as "Boulevard Adolphe Chapleau")
- Follow Hwy 344 west
- Head north on Boulevard de Gaulle into the town of Lorraine
- Hang a left (west) on Rang St-Francois; you'll now have traversed the town completely.
- Go right (north) on Rue Paul-Albert
- At the end of the road, go left on Chemin de la Cote-Louis
- Immediately after crossing train tracks hang a right onto le P'tit Train du Nord.
- Shortly after passing km 13 (north of St-Jerome) you will encounter the Prevost station at which point you should hang a left (west) on rue de la Station
- Et voila - Shawbridge!
You can also take a slightly different path, see map here.
|Fees (per night)||First Night||Following Nights|
Official House Rules
Please read the house rules before you go.
The house does not provide any blankets or pillows. Think of it like camping. We have 2 stoves, 2 refrigerators, couches, hot water, and bunk beds. So bring your sleeping bag, toothbrush, etc. We do have a shower, but bring your own soap, or make some where you get here!
The house has been under the auspices of the club since 1954. Numerous improvements have been made, mostly by members themselves. We are quite handy, (and cheap!) so we welcome anyone with experience in home repair to contact us! You can read more about the purchase of the house here.